A free slouchy hat crochet pattern that is easy and quick, perfect for beginners. Your best seller at craft fairs
I have made 100s of these hats over the past couple years. Before I started this blog & my adventure with pattern writing, I sold my knitwear & newborn photo props at craft fairs & on Etsy. This adult slouchy hat was my number one seller along with a simple scarf.
My crochet patterns at that time were designed with simplicity in mind. I had been crocheting for 1 year, still considered a beginner to crochet. You can crochet the popular slouchy hat in 1 hour. Just one of the many reasons I love super bulky yarn.
I finally sat down long enough to crochet this slouchy hat & lucky for you this time I brought a pen & notebook! Lucky for me, it was like riding a bicycle, the stitches just came right back.
Let’s get started with the Adult Slouchy Hat Crochet Pattern.
Pick out your yarn & get to making!
What You’ll Need
- 1 skein super bulky weight yarn, Lion Brands Wool-Ease Thick and Quick in color Charcoal or Fisherman
- 10.00mm Hook
- 12.00mm hook
- Tapestry Needle
You Should Know This
- Working in the backstitch– also known as working in the 3rd loop or camel stitch.
- Use the “No-Cut Join Method” Video OR use the basic slip stitch method to join at the end of each round. The No-Cut Join Method will give you an almost seamless join and keep the rounds even.
- A crochet cheat sheet to help you with stitch abbreviations.
- To crochet evenly around the hat band watch this video to get rid of the holes between the hat band and the first round of the hat body.
Slouchy Hat Crochet Pattern
Hat Band 10.00mm Hook
row 1 hdc in 2nd ch from hook, hdc in each ch across, turn (5sts)
row 2-24 ch 1. (BLO) hdc in each stitch across. turn (5sts)
Fold the hat band in half. sl st down the side to form a band. Don’t break yarn.
Hat Body 12.00mm Hook
If pattern reads, work in backstitch. Work the entire round in the backstitch.
round 1 beginning where you left off, ch 1, evenly hdc around the band until you have 24sts. join (24sts) helpful video tutorial
round 2 ch 1, work in backstitch, hdc around. join (24sts)
round 3 ch 2, work in backstitch, dc around. join (24sts)
round 4 ch 1, hdc around. join. (24sts)
round 5 repeat round 2
round 6 repeat round 3
round 7 repeat round 4
round 8 repeat round 2
round 9 repeat round 3
round 10 repeat round 4
round 11 ch 1, hdc2tog around (12sts)
round 12 ch 1, hdc2tog around (6sts)
Break yarn and weave through the top loops of remaining stitches, pull tight, and weave in ends. Secure a large pom pom to top of the hat.
Do a happy dance! You finished your hat! If you liked this slouchy hat crochet pattern, here’s another ribbed beanie crochet pattern to try.