A bottle of wine is a go-to classic for a hostess gift. This crochet wine bottle cover pattern will add a little creativity and thoughtfulness to an old standby.
It’s the most wonderful time of year and it’s filled with holiday parties one after another. Every guest knows the golden rule:
Don’t show up empty-handed.
Whether your staying with a friend for the weekend or want to say thanks for hosting a dinner party, picking a hostess gift can feel overwhelming.
A bottle of wine is a go-to classic. This crochet wine bottle cover will add a little creativity and thoughtfulness to an old standby. Add a gift card to their favorite shop. You can make the gift more meaningful by adding a crochet gift card holder.
Not only will this wine bottle gift bag stand out, it will give the host a gift they can reuse for a picnic or another outing. It’s sure to show your gratitude.
Save your time and sanity. Make a few wine bottle covers to have on hand for those last minute parties.
Add this crochet pattern to your Ravelry favorites here.
Pin it for later here.
What You Need
- 5mm Crochet Hook ( This wood hook is a steal!)
- Worsted Weight ( medium #4) Cotton Yarn: I Love This Cotton from Hobby Lobby in the color Aubergine
- Stitch Marker
- 2 Wood Buttons ( 1″ size)
- Tapestry Needle (this wood one is gorgeous)
- Thread and Needle
- The wine bottle cover is crocheted from the bottom up in the round.
- When working the base of the cover, the chain at the beginning of each round does not count as a stitch. At the end of each round, you’ll join with a slip stitch to the first single crochet.
- When working the sides of the cover, you will be crocheting in a spiral. That means you won’t join at the end of each round. Instead, continue crocheting around. Use a stitch marker to keep track of the first stitch of every round.
- The finished height of this crochet wine bottle cover is 13″ high, from the base, and 4.5″ wide. It will fit a standard size wine bottle.
Crochet Abbreviations (US Terms)
- sc = single crochet
- ch = chain
- sl st = slip stitch
- st(s) = stitch(es)
- (BLO) = back loop only
Crochet Wine Bottle Cover Pattern
Wine Bottle Cover Base
Make a magic circle.
round 1: work 6 sc’s in the magic circle, sl st to join in the first sc (6sts)
round 2: ch 1, 2 sc’s in each st around, sl st to join (12sts)
round 3: ch 1, [1 sc in the next st, 2 sc in the next st] repeat around, sl st to join (18sts)
round 4: ch 1, [1 sc in the next 2 sts, 2 sc in the next st] repeat around, sl st to join (24sts)
round 5: ch 1, [1 sc in the next 3 sts, 2 sc in the next st] repeat around, sl st to join (30sts)
round 6: ch 1, [1 sc in the next 4 sts, 2 sc in the next st] repeat around, sl st to join (36sts)
round 7: ch 1, [1 sc in the next 4 sts, 2 sc in the next st] repeat around, sl st to join (42sts)
Wine Bottle Cover Sides
round 8: (BLO) sl st in each st around, don’t join (42sts)
round 9: In this round, you will be working over what you just did. You will insert your hook in the same place you inserted it for round 8. You will need to work through both the sl sts and the back loops that you just worked. This makes for a thick round and gives body to the bottom of the wine bottle bag. Here’s a crochet video tutorial to explain how to make a sturdy base in a basket. It’s the same technique we’re using in this round.
(BLO) 1 sc in each st around (42sts)
rounds 10-66: 1 sc in each st around (42sts)
Cut the yarn and sew in the ends. Fold over the top of the wine cover. The cuff should be 2″.
Wine Bottle Cover Handle
round 1: 1 sc in the 2nd ch from the hook, 1 sc in each ch across. Don’t turn. Now working along the other side of the ch, 1 sc in each ch across, sl st to the first sc. (32sts)
Cut the yarn and sew in your ends. Attach the handle with the buttons, just underneath the turned down cuff.
More crochet gift ideas can be found here.
Add your favorite bottle of wine, a gift tag, and get ready for the party. If the hostess is a fellow crocheter you’ll want to add a gift from my Yarn Lover’s Gift Guide.