Learn how to DIY yarn tassels that will add a modern feel to your crochet pieces. The video tutorial teaches you how to make huge yarn tassels in 5 easy steps.
Tassels are a fun trend that keeps showing up in home decor and fashion. From dainty tassels made out of embroidery thread to jumbo tassels, they’re everywhere. I find myself wanting to add them to all the things, especially my crochet pieces.
Think pillows, throw blankets, and crochet triangle scarves.
DIY yarn tassels are a great way to bust through your never-ending yarn stash. You can use any weight and type of yarn you have. In the how-to video, I use super bulky weight yarn to make a giant tassel for my Canyon Scarf Crochet Pattern. You can use the same method for all types of yarn or thread.
Video Tutorial | How To DIY Yarn Tassels
What You Need
- Cardboard Template: I used a postcard, but any sturdy cardstock will work. The length of your template will be the same as your finished tassel length.
- Tapestry Needle
5 Simple Steps To DIY Yarn Tassels
- Cut a template the same length as your finished tassel. I used a postcard. Any type of cardboard or sturdy cardstock will work.
- Wrap the yarn around the template. How many times depends on how thick you want the tassel.
- Cut the yarn bundle on one side of the template.
- Fold the yarn bundle in half. Hold the yarn bundle in your fist, with the top 1/4 “head” of the tassel showing. With a single strand of yarn, close to your fist, tie a knot around the head.
- Wrap the yarn around a few times. Using a tapestry needle, sew the strand up through the center of the head. Use this strand to sew the tassel onto the corner of your scarf.