A free chunky yarn crochet pattern that teaches you how to make a knit look crochet hat.
Have you ever fallen in love with a yarn? I mean complete swooning over? You finally break down and buy said yarn only to have it sit in your yarn stash forever! Whatever you try and make just isn’t good enough for the yarn. I keep telling myself “just commit to a project already!”
Get the free PDF pattern sent straight to your inbox.
This is exactly what happened with this yarn, Crazy Sexy Wool from Wool and the Gang. I tried to make this crochet ribbed hat pattern, but it was too bulky. I made up a “new stitch” to try with a hat, but it was way too tight. ( maybe there’s a reason no one has used that stitch!) Then I had a vision of a super scarf. I didn’t have enough yarn to make it “super”. Back to the drawing board.
The next, and final, idea I had was the crossed half double crochet stitch. This stitch almost has a knit look, my favorite. It’s also really simple. I love chunky yarn crochet patterns because the results are quick.
Add this pattern to your Ravelry favorites here.
Pin this crochet pattern for later here.
What You Need
- 12 mm crochet hook
- 1 Skein #6 Super Bulky Weight Yarn (70-80yards) Crazy Sexy Wool from Wool And The Gang (200 gr/ 87 yds) Color: Ivory White
- Yarn Substitute: The Chill or The Wool
- Faux Fur Pom Pom: (I used this 1)
- Tapestry Needle
- The “Criss Cross” pattern is created by skipping the next stitch where the red arrow is pointing
- hdc in next stitch where the blue arrow is pointing.
- Then hdc back into skipped st where the red arrow is pointing.
Another look at the criss-cross pattern
- You have skipped a st, hdc in next st, then hdc in skipped st where the arrow is pointing.
Chunky Yarn Crochet Pattern Notes
- pattern is worked from top to bottom
- sl st to join into the chain stitch from the beginning of the round.
- your chain at the beginning of each round does not count as a stitch
- check your stitch count! Missing a stitch here or there is common with the criss-cross pattern.
- US terminology used.
Adult Criss Cross Chunky Beanie
make magic circle,
round 1: work 8 sc in magic circle, sl st to join (8sts)
round 2: ch 1, 2 hdc in each st around, sl st to join (16sts)
round 3: ch 1, *2 hdc in next st, 1 hdc in next st, repeat from * around, sl st to join (24sts)
round 4: ch 1, *2 hdc in next st, hdc in each of the next 2 sts, repeat from * around. sl st to join (32sts)
round 5-7: ch 1, *skip the next hdc, hdc in the next hdc, then hdc in the skipped hdc, repeat from * around. sl st to join (32 sts)
round 8: ch 1, sc in each st around. sl st to join. (32sts)
round 9-10: ch 1, *1 FPHDC, 1 BPHDC, repeat from * around, sl st to join. (32sts)
Cut yarn & weave in ends with tapestry needle.
Now it’s time to use that chunky yarn you’ve been swooning over. I won’t let it sit in your yarn stash any longer! I hope you don’t have to frog as many times as I did to find the “perfect project”